In early 2013 the old Clinton High School (1920-1977) was demolished to make way for a new Clinton Fire Department, which was constructed in 2020. Bricks and limestone from the building were saved for use in the construction of a CHS Monument Memorial. The city agreed to allow the memorial to be built on the corner of 4th and Mulberry St.
In addition to the initial cost of the construction of the monument memorial there would be ongoing maintenance costs associated with its care. Therefore, the CHS Memorial Committee – Dick Mills (“1954”), George P. Carey (“1956”), Allen Shew (“1958), and Dean Strohm (“1963”) sought to raise funds for the initial cost of the memorial and to build a perpetual endowment for its long-term care and upkeep.
The initial fundraising efforts were successful and the CHS Monument Memorial has been constructed. Donations continue to be received for the purpose of maintaining the monument and will be placed in the permanent endowment fund. The City of Clinton – Fire Department has agreed to be the permanent custodian of the monument memorial as many former CHS alumni are no longer available to assist in providing upkeep for the monument.
The purpose of the fund is to provide support to the City of Clinton – Fire Department for providing assistance in supporting the maintenance and upkeep of the Clinton High School Monument Memorial. Also, it will provide assistance for the maintenance, repair and restoration of the monument, brick pathway, benches, flowers, shrubbery, signage, and other markers of historical or architectural significance to the school, thus promoting an appreciation of school history to the educational benefit of the general public.
Donations to the Clinton High School Monument Memorial Fund may be made online or mailed to: Vermillion County Community Foundation, Attn: Clinton High School Monument Memorial Fund, P.O. Box 532, Clinton, IN 47842.